Rolldown Shutters (and Hurricane Roll Screen):
- Keep the tracks clean. Wash them regularly. Inspect for buildup of dirt, salt, insect nests, and other particles that may cause problems with the operation of your shutters. Make sure the felt strips (if present) in the tracks are clean and free of debris. Using the shutter frequently will help keep the tracks clean.
- Wash with warm water, soap, and a soft brush. Clean slats using a vertical motion. Avoid a horizontal motion that could misalign the slats and jam the shutter. Cleaning should be done two to three times during the summer months. (Aluminum Rolldown Shutters Only)
- Keep shutter travel area clear of all articles, furniture, etc. If the shutter hits an object, misalignment or damage can occur which may result in costly repairs.
- If you have an electric motor on your shutters, use the motor a minimum of twice a month. This action will create heat in the tube and eliminate moisture.
- If you have an electric motor on your shutters, complete the shutter cycle before reversing the direction. If you close or open the shutter partially then stop, finish closing or opening the shutter before you operate it in the opposite direction.
- In order to keep your Bahama shutters in top condition, we recommend removing the thumbscrews and coating them yearly with a product called “Never-Seize” or an equivalent product. This ensures that the thumbscrews will not seize against the collars, preventing you from changing the angle of your shutters.
- Wash the telescoping arms with soap and water, allow to dry and then lubricate with a 100% silicone lubricant then open and close the shutter a few times to work the product in.
- We also recommend storing the Bahama pins inside the home to prevent corrosion and sticking in their tracks where they are stored.
- While little to no maintenance is required for operable shutters (you should test them frequently), performing the following maintenance every couple of months is best.
- When the accordion shutter is in the closed position, the inside fold’s “hinge” opens so that you can clean and wash it using the hose- or if heavily soiled- wipe it out with a sponge and dish soap. Wipe down all of the exposed inner joints while the shutter is in this closed position.
- Let the wiped joints dry and then use 100% silicone spray, (never WD40 or any oily petroleum base spray), and spray those joints from top to bottom on the inside “hinge” of each fold. Once each of the inner fold joints are sprayed, open and close the shutter to work the silicone in.
- The weight of accordion shutters hangs down from the top wheels so those wheels in the top track need to be kept cleaned and lubricated with your 100% silicone spray also. Clean and wash the top and bottom tracks using the hose- or if heavily soiled- wipe with a sponge and dish soap. Spray the silicone lubricant in the top track where the wheels are then open and close the shutter a few times to work it in.
- We recommend storing your locks inside when not in use, however if you leave them on the shutter, we recommend leaving them in the locked position. When performing this maintenance, spray the silicone lubricant liberally into the lock from the side and from the face, push the lock in a few time to work in the lubricant, then lock again.
Here is a video (not ours) showing what we are talking about.
- If shutter is heavily soiled, use a sponge to wash gently with a diluted mixture of dishwashing liquid.
- Try washing your shutters with water from your garden hose. Pressure washing can damage your shutters and is not recommended.
- Inspect the hinges, locks, and other moving parts to ensure they’re working right and adjust or tighten as needed.
- Lubricate the hinges with a dry silicone spray
- Make sure the shutter louvers are still properly affixed to the frame.
Lexan requires no real maintenance, however cleaning is suggested to maintain the clarity of the product as well as prolong its life.
- Pre rinse Lexan with warm water, use a microfiber cloth or non-abrasive sponge to wash with a diluted mixture of soap or detergent, then rinse thoroughly. To prevent water spots, dry with a soft cloth.
- Suggested cleaners for Lexan XL-10 include: Top Job, Joy, Palmolive, and Ammonia-Free Windex.
- In the event of a serious event of tar, heavy oil, graffiti, paint, ink, or adhesive, we recommend using isopropyl alcohol to remove it.